Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like garlic you will like this meatball recipe.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 slices fresh bread, , processed into crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hard margarine
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 ounces canned stewed tomatoes, with juice,pureed
- 3⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- Combine the 5 ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl, enuring they are mixed well (I use a hand mixer.) Form into 68, 1 inch balls and place on a ungreased bakcing sheet.
- Bake the meatballs in a 500 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Once the meatballs are browned, remove them and place them in an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Next prepare the Sauce.
- Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and proceed to saute the garlic until soft but not browned.
- Add the tomato and honey.
- Mix the cornstarch with the soy sauce and stir into the tomato mixture.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pore the thickened sauce over the meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are glazed.
My Husband and I loved this recipe. It tastes a bit like sweet and sour meatballs with a great garlic flavor. Thank you for the recipe.
This recipie was an absolute beauty :-D
i made everything the day before, put the meatballs in the sauce, and stashed in the fridge. i also made my meatballs larger than the recipie states (i did not get 68 meatballs, but that is how we like ours!). my very picky wife (she would eat the same thing everyday if i would let her) raved about this dish and rated it a 9.8 out of 10.
Thank you for this wonderful recipie, it will be a staple in my cookbook for years to come :-D