Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Prep. time does not include marinating time.
- 3⁄4 cup bottled barbecue sauce (My favorite is Head Country)
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup apple jelly
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork back ribs, cut into 2 to 3 rib portions
- In a medium saucepan combine barbecue sauce, honey, jelly, catsup, the 1/4 cup water, celery, brown sugar, relish, mustard, and cinnamon.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Meanwhile, place ribs in a Dutch oven.
- Add water to cover.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Place ribs in a 3-quart baking dish; pour cooled sauce over ribs.
- Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours, turning ribs once or twice.
- Before serving, remove ribs from sauce.
- Reserve sauce.
- Grill ribs directly over medium coals or broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning and brushing with sauce once (watch closely to prevent burning).
- Heat any remaining sauce until bubbly; pass with ribs.