Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a Eastern European favorite. It uses ketchup in place of tomato sauce, the potatoes and mushrooms are common to the region.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large leek, chopped (white part only)
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large potato, unpeeled, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups medium no yolk noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, leek, and carrots.
- Cook,stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, potato, dill weed, paprika, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add noodles, cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in ketchug and add salt and pepper to taste.
Great soup and it tasted great even before the ketchup was added. I used green onions in place of leeks as I was really making do. The dill makes this.
Delicious! The ketchup adds just the right note of subtle sweetness. We will be making this a lot. Thank you.
Fantastic soup! I made this exactly as posted, except I couldn't find no-yolk noodles. The combination of dill and paprika is unique, yet really packs a ton of flavor! I just loved the aroma of this soup while it was cooking. The ketchup was the final touch that really brought it all home! The only thing I might want to change is that I wish there was some meat in it to make this a full meal. Thanks for sharing this unexpected delight! Made for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #65.