Family Favorite Chicken Noodle Soup
photo by FrenchBunny
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces homestyle noodles (from the freezer section, I use Reames)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning (I use Spike)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 of a rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat only (I keep the chunks big)
- In a large saucepot, saute carrots, celery and onion in the butter for 2 minutes over med-high heat.
- Add broth, garlic and bay leaf, give it a stir, put the lid on the pot and crank up the heat to high until it start boiling.
- When boiling, remove lid an drop in the noodles. Give it a good stir and leave the lid off.
- Boil on med-high for 25 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, remove the (pre-cooked) chicken meat from the bones and set aside.
- After 25 minutes, turn down the heat to low.
- Add the peas, seasonings and chicken.
- Stir and let it cook on low for 15 minutes.
Good soup. Followed ingredients as is except I didn't know what all purpose seasoning is so I used Emeril's Essence. For the chicken I used recipe #234465 (costs about half the cost of purchasing a rotisserie chicken). Also, in the directions it doesn't say when to add the garlic and I almost missed that step - just added it with the chicken but next time I'll saute it with the veggies. Overall, easy and yummy.
Excellent, one of those soups that has one coming back for seconds. Needing to use ingredients on hand I did have to make a few substitutions which wouldn't take away from the wonderful combination that makes for that old fashioned taste. Used a home roasted herbed chicken and cooked broad noodles. (Will be checking out the frozen food section for the homestlye noodles next city shop.) I did have Spike!! Another soup that has made it into my collection - don't you love when it tastes as good as it looks! Thank you January Bride.
This was so delicious...I found this so quick to make with fantastic results. I was so surprised to find the homestyle noodles at my grocery store and I am so glad..they taste so good. I simmered the broth and veggies and noodles for over 1/2 hour then added the chicken and peas for another 1/2 hour, just to incorporate the flavors. I also added just a bit of sage seasoning. MMMmmmm, it had such a wonderful flavor , we just loved it. I think this is my first chicken noodle soup, and I am so glad it tasted so delicious. Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I look forward to some good lunches this week.
see 1 more reviews