Recipe by Cooking to Perfection
A nice hearty chowder to warm you up on cold winter nights. A classic in my cookbook!
Top Review by Baby Kato
Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe. What a great chowder it made. Made exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. The chowder was silky, creamy and had a lovely flavor. The bacon was the predominant flavor in the chowder, next time I would use a little less. Made for What's on the Menu? Tag Game.
- 4 slices raw bacon, sliced
- 1 -2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 -3 cups diced ham
- 2 (12 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, undrained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cook bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add potatoes and water; cover and simmer until tender (about 10 minutes).
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour, and gradually add milk stirring until thick and smooth.
- Add thickened flour, ham, corn, salt, and pepper to large pot.
- Bring almost to a boil (don't boil!).
- Add milk if chowder is too thick.
- Serve warm.