Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious and savory pie, chock full of tender chicken and vegetables. It's also easy to prepare. You can make it even easier by starting with cooked chicken and skipping steps 1 and 2. You can easily change the vegetable combinations. Use a combination of your favorites, such as corn and diced red pepper or cut green beans and sliced button mushrooms.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (16 -20 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees; place the chicken in a large saucepan; add enough cool water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the chicken; let cool.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
- Roll out the remaining pie crust on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the crust into 1/2-inch wide strips with a pastry wheel; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and cream; whisk until thickened, 3-4 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in shredded chicken, frozen peas and carrots, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared pie plate.
- Arrange 6 of the pie crust strips in the same direction on top of the pie; twisting dough.
- Arrange the remaining strips, crosswise on the top; fold the edges under and crimp edge to seal.
- Beat the egg yolk and water.
- Brush the pastry with the egg mixture; place the pie on a baking sheet (you may want to cover crust edges with aluminum foil to prevent burning).
- Bake the pie until the crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.