Homemade Tomato Ketchup - Jamie Oliver
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet. Add onions and salt. Sweat onions for 15 minutes until soft, translucent and sweet.
- Combine fennel seed, coriander seed and cloves in a mortar, spice grinder or flavor shaker. Grind well. Add to onions with ginger, garlic and chile pepper. Add black pepper and salt.
- Quarter tomatoes and add to pan. Tear basil leaves off of stems and reserve. Chop stems coarsely and add to pan. Add tomato puree, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium, and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Roughly chop basil leaves. Turn off heat and add basil; stir well.
- Transfer to blender and puree smooth. Work in batches, filling the blender jar no more than half way. Pour into a fine sieve and push through.
- Sterilize some ketchup bottles and a funnel, either in boiling water, or dry in a roasting pan in a hot oven. Stir ketchup well and transfer to bottles. Fill bottles completely before sealing. Allow to cool completely, then store in a cool dark place for up to 6 months. Refrigerate after opening.