Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
this is from my neighbor. her version of spaghetti sauce. cook time does not include time for water to boil in canner.
- Mix all ingredients together in large pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours AFTER it starts to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Fill jars, leaving one-inch headspace; wipe rims, place lids and screw bands on fingertip-tight.
- For pints, pressure can for 20 minutes@ 10# pressure.
- For quarts, pressure 25 minutes@ 10# pressure.
- Makes about 20 pints or about 10 quarts.
While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information. Meatless sauce should be pressure canned for 15 minutes (pints) and 20 minutes (quarts) to meet contemporary safety standards. At altitudes above sea level they should be processed even longer.
I am sorry, but with that oil in the recipe you will be at a risk for botulism. This recipe should not be canned, but frozen. Also, there is not enough acid to can it even without the oil.
I have not tasted this yet, as it is on the stove finishing up the simmering time, but wow, it smells and looks amazing! I am canning it, and cut the recipe down quite a bit for my pot size, I may be brave and do 2 pots at a time next time- Thanks!