Recipe by ~kdp
this is from my neighbor. her version of spaghetti sauce. cook time does not include time for water to boil in canner.
Top Review by zeldaz51
While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information. Meatless sauce should be pressure canned for 15 minutes (pints) and 20 minutes (quarts) to meet contemporary safety standards. At altitudes above sea level they should be processed even longer.
- 4 gallons tomatoes, washed, peeled, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canning salt
- 3 lbs onions, chopped
- 2 heads garlic, minced (not cloves)
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 hot pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 4 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in large pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours AFTER it starts to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Fill jars, leaving one-inch headspace; wipe rims, place lids and screw bands on fingertip-tight.
- For pints, pressure can for 20 minutes@ 10# pressure.
- For quarts, pressure 25 minutes@ 10# pressure.
- Makes about 20 pints or about 10 quarts.