Homemade Spaghetti Sauce/Tomato Sauce
Very robust, hearty, and perfect to cook ahead of time in large batches and freeze for later use in the colder months when the fresh produce is not available. I use fresh home grown tomatos and peppers for this recipe
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped (I prefer more)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 8 -10 medium tomatoes
- 1 -2 banana pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste (to thicken)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper (to taste)
- Place tomatos in large pot cover with water. Bring water to boil and boil approximatley 5 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and place in ice bath.
- In pot used to boil tomato's return it to the stove over medium heat add oil, both onions, garlic, peppers, Italian, Pizza and basil, and saute until onions and peppers are translucent.
- In the mean time peel the skin off the tomatos, and cut into 4's removing the top stem area. Place tomatos in food processor and blend. Pour tomato puree into pot with other ingrediants stir, reduce heat to a slow simmer. Add tomato paste, stir.
- Let pot simmer for approximately 2 hours stirring occasionaly.
- Enjoy it with spaghetti noodles or use with lasagna.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was my first time making homemade spaghetti sauce and it was really pretty easy. I sautéed the onions while the tomatoes were boiling to speed things up a bit. I left out the peppers because I don't like them and next time I will add mushrooms (I would have this time but I didn't have any on hand). I didn't have Italian or pizza seasoning, so I used basil and oregano instead. Also, I didn't blend my tomatoes before adding them to the pot; I just roughly mashed them with a potato masher once they were in. I like my sauce a little bit chunky. I got exactly four cups of sauce. This was a great recipe to try for a first-timer. Thanks for posting!Reply