Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very tasty, and tender seitan is produced. You can change the taste by the changing or adding different spices. eg. adding traditional chicken herbs like sage, poultry seasoning will produce a mock chicken. Found this recipe on-line.
- 2 cups gluten flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or veg. broth cube) or 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock (or veg. broth cube)
- 3 tablespoons tamari or 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup tamari, Braggs, soy sauce
- 3 -4 slices gingerroot
- celery (optional)
- onion (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- Add garlic powder and ginger to flour and stir.
- Mix liquids together and add to flour mixture all at once. Mix vigorously with a fork. When it forms a stiff dough knead it 10 to 15 times.
- Let the dough rest 2 to 5 minutes, then knead it a few more times. Let it rest another 15 minutes. It will be rubbery.
- Cut gluten into 5 or 6 pieces. Pat out and stretch dough to form into "cutlet" shapes.
- Combine broth ingredients. Simmer seitan pieces in broth for 30 to 60 minutes. Let seitan cool in the broth.
- You can use this right away, refrigerate it for up to a week, or freeze it for several months.