Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 5 lbs pork (not too lean)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more if you want)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Morton sausage seasoning
- Grind pork coarsely.
- Mix ground pork with other ingredients.
- Extrude thru meat grinder on coarse setting again into natural casing, twisting at desired link size.
- Freezes well, and is very aromatic.
- To cook, simply thaw and pan-fry in skillet for approximately 15 minutes on medium heat until sausage is nicely browned and begins to 'split', or use in your favorite recipe.
We make kielbasa at least 3 times a year. Here are the seasonings we use for 10-12 lbs. of sausage: 3-6 cloves of fresh garlic, and 1 Tblsp garlic powder 6 Tblsp salt 1 Tblsp Accent 1 Tblsp sugar, brown or white 4-6 Tblsp fresh ground coarse black pepper some people use a little marjoram Bring these seasonings to a boil in about a cup of water, cool and pour over the cubed pork. Marinate with ice cubes overnight. Adjust the seasonings to your personal taste. We like garlicky and peppery.
The "old country way" is to use 2 crushed cloves of garlic for every pound of Boston Butt; also the use of the spice MARJORAM LEAF is essential (approximately 1-1/2 tablespoons per pound of pork)