Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 hrs
These are very easy to make, must wait the full 12 hours...and they are delicious drizzled with chocolate.
- 3 tablespoons gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine 3 tablespoons of gelatin with 1/2 cup cold water and let stand for an hour.
- In the meantime, heat 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 cup light corn syrup, 1/2 cup of water, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring it to a boil and cook until the firm-ball stage (244³F, 117³F).
- Remove from the heat and pour it slowly over the gelatin, beating it constantly in a stand mixer.
- Beat it for a good 15 minutes.
- When it's thick but still warm, add 2 tablespoons of vanilla or other flavoring (mint, strawberry, orange, flower water, etc), if desired.
- Spread the mixture in a pan that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch.
- Let it dry for 12 hours, then cut into squares with scissors dusted with cornstarch, and store them in an airtight container.
Made these last night for a weekend party, and they were very easy to make. You need a bigger dish than I used, probably a 9x13 - mine ended up thicker than I would have liked, and I used a second smaller pan when I realized that this was going to be a lot of marshmallows. I used aluminum foil with nonstick spray in my pan, which reduced cleanup, but the beaters and bowl clean up really easily, even if you forget and leave the whisk on the mixer overnight! Vanilla flavor very pronounced, so use good stuff. I think these will be a hit.