Recipe by Audrey M
A quick and easy meal. This recipe comes from Cooking Light.
Top Review by kita00
This is a very good and easy recipe to make and do use the fresh ripe tomatoes vs. can - fresh is always better! I increased the garlic to 3 Tbsp and the basil to 1/3 C also with a tad of jalapeno juice to give it a slight kick. I'm sure that I'll make this again soon.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 lbs coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes (about 6 cups)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)
Directions See How It's Made
- If fresh tomatoes aren't available, you can substitute a 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped, plus a 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained, instead.
- To balance the flavor and thicken the sauce, add 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and 1 teaspoon of sugar to the canned tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in basil and parsley, and cook 1 minute.
- Serve over pasta.