Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This quickly becomes everyone's favorite mac & cheese as soon as they try it. You can really use any kind of hot dogs (Kosher, turkey, whatever). You can also leave them out if you aren't a fan. It's still amazing mac & cheese.
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (Tillamook is best)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 niman ranch uncured beef hot dogs (I like to grill them first)
- 3 cups macaroni (I use brown rice penne)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions for al dente. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour to the butter and cook for 1-2 mins then start slowly adding warm milk. Whisk until smooth and thickened (4 mins or so). Add wine, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in the sliced hot dogs and cooked macaroni.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and fill with mac and cheese. Cover the top with breadcrumb topping. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 20-30mins until golden brown and crispy on top.