Recipe by Redsie
From Enlightened Cooking.
Top Review by jconway520
Love these and make them a ton! A great recipe that you can tweak to fit your tastes. I usually omit the brown sugar but add an egg and bake. I know it defeats the purpose of a no bake recipe, but it makes the granola all crunchy with a little less sugar and I love it!
- 1 1⁄4 cups crisp rice cereal (e.g., Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts (preferably roasted or toasted)
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice syrup (or honey, maple syrup, or light molasses)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup nut butter (e.g., peanut, almond, cashew, soynut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the rice cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, dried fruit, and nuts in a large bowl.
- Bring the syrup and brown sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in nut butter and vanilla until blended.
- Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (mixture will be stiff). Press mixture firmly into an 8-inch square pan (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) using a large square of wax paper.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 bars.
- (Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator).
- Chocolate Chip Cookie: Replace the dried fruit with an equal amount of semisweet miniature chocolate chips (or carob chips). Combine the cereal mixture with the syrup mixture, then let the combined mixture stand 10 minutes before adding the chips.
- Peanut Butter Cookie: Use chopped dates for the dried fruit and dry roasted peanuts for the nuts. Use honey, or half honey-half molasses for the syrup and peanut butter for the nut butter.
- Will You Cherry Me? Use chopped dried tart cherries for the fruit and lightly salted roasted almonds for the nuts. Use any nut butter (almond butter is great, but I know, very expensive, and add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
- Apple Pie: Use chopped dried apples for the fruit and rice syrup or honey for the syrup. Be sure to add the cinnamon option, and use toasted walnuts or pecans for the nuts.