1/5 Photos of Homemade Chocolate Sheet Cake
This is by far the best chocolate cake ever. This has to be the EASIEST SCRATCH cake recipe I have ever made. And, it is so moist and chocolately. My mom makes this cake all the time for almost every occassion (by request usually). Try it, you'll love it. Way better than a box cake. Makes 1 sheet cake or one 10" x 2" round cake or 24 cupcakes using 1/3 cup batter per cupcake tin. Batter makes 6 cups
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Prepare cake pans with Crisco and lightly dust with flour. I prefer the Wilton Quick Release product instead of the traditional Crisco/Flour prep.
- 3I prefer to make my own sour milk. I think the vinegar does something to the recipe and makes it more moist or something. To do so, in a glass measuring cup, add 2 tbs of distilled vinegar then add your milk (I used skim milk) and measure to 2 cups. Whisk, and let stand for 20 minutes. I whisk again before adding it to my mixing bowl.
- 4Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl. With the PADDLE attachment, mix together for 2 minutes. Scrape down the side and bottom of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are mixed well.
- 5FOR SHEET CAKES: Pour into your pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs on it, or use the Wilton's baking guide.
- 6FOR ROUND CAKES: Pour into your prepared pan, bake for 35-40 minutes or use the Wilton's baking guide, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs on it (not gooey uncooked batter).
- 7FOR CUPCAKES: Pour into tins, bake for approximately 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out with moist crumbs on it (not gooey uncooked batter).
- 8For a deeper, richer chocolate taste, reduce the buttermilk by 1/4 cup and replace it with a 1/4 cup of brewed coffee. I personally think with 1 cup of cocoa, the recipe already has a rich chocolate taste.
- 9I like to experiment with the extracts. If making a filling such as raspberry, replace the vanilla with raspberry extract. Experiment with different flavors and combinations for a different taste. Chocolate cake with a hint of orange flavoring is to die for.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Chocolate Sheet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.9
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 350.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g