Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are the best canned pickles around.
- 1 1⁄2 gallons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 gallons water
- 1 cup salt
- 7 garlic cloves
- 7 tablespoons pickling spices
- 30 -50 sprigs fresh dill
- 7 tablespoons dill seeds
- 10 pinches alum (do not use if you use lime)
- You can keep your pickles whole or slice them.
- Wash the pickles and cut the stems off if you keep them whole.
- Stir the vinegar, water, and salt in large pot; let it just come to a boil.
- Have hot jars ready: Put in 1 clove garlic, 1 T pickling spice, several sprigs of dill, 1 T dill seed and 1 pinch alum (if you did not use lime).
- Pack the jars with cucumbers. Ladle the hot vinegar mixture over to within 1/2 inch of top of jars.
- Remove the air bubbles; wipe rims clean, seal, and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.