1/1 Photo of Home For Thanksgiving Fried Cornbread Dressing
1 hr 30 mins
Mom of Chef Mark's Note:
This recipe has grown a few strapping boys and delighted even the pickiest gal in the bunch. Our home is always full to overflowing on Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is the one recipe that is a "must" even if we don't do turkey. This has evolved over the years to try to hit everyone's preferences. It's my own invention! It tastes good as is or will serve well with southern cream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425 for cornbread.
- 2Place stick of butter in bottom of roasting pan and place in oven to melt it (This will allow the cornbread to"fry" while it's baking).
- 3Mix up corn bread mix according to package instructions (Usually, this will be the addition of 2/3 cups sweet milk and 1 egg per package of mix.) (Cornbread can be baked ahead, which I usually do the night before).
- 4When done, use a knife and score through the cornbread to make very small cubes.
- 5(You should have enough to be able to enjoy a few cubes of this buttered delight while it's still hot).
- 6Brown sausage in dutch oven.
- 7Add onions, celery and mushrooms and the other half stick of butter if you need more oil.
- 8Saute til sausage is done and onion is translucent.
- 9Add about 3 cups of cornbread and sage.
- 10Let brown a bit.
- 11Add rest of cornbread and stir well.
- 12Turn dressing from dutch oven into the roaster pan.
- 13Drizzle with chicken broth til nice and moist (This is a personal taste thing).
- 14Bake at 350 for about an hour or until golden brown.
- 15This makes enough for 24 to 30 servings depending on appetites.
- 16Is wonderful left-over.
- 17Your guests will even want to take some home with them.
- 18Freezes well.
- 19(I don't salt during cooking. Just place salt and pepper shakers on the table for those who want more than what's already there).
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Home For Thanksgiving Fried Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 460.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: