Cook1 hr 30 mins
For ease on preparing wonderful soups. Here is a great recipe for canning dry Beans or peas. They make a wonderful and fast baked beans too! Bonus, it is easy and the flavor is excellent!
- 5 lbs dried beans or 5 lbs dried peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, per pint jars
- Select Mature, dry seeds. Sort out and discard discolored seeds.
- Place Beans or peas in a large pot and cover with water. Soak 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Drain water. Again cover beans with fresh water and boil 30 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint jars or 1 teaspoon for quart jars if desired. Fill pint or quart jars with the soaked beans and cooking water, leaving a 1 inch head space. Adjust lids and process.
- Recommended process time for Beans or Peas in a dial-gauged pressure canner.
- Pints: 75 Minutes at 10 lbs.
- Quarts 90 Minutes at 10 lbs.
- 5 pounds of beans is needed per canner load of 7 quarts.
- 3 1/4 pounds of beans are needed for 9 pints.