Jana's Home Canned Picante Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 8 cups chopped tomatoes (8 large)
- 2 medium onions
- 8 teaspoons vinegar
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 8 jalapenos
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 6 garlic cloves
- 30 ounces tomato juice
- Blanche, peel, and chop tomatoes. Measure 8 cups.
- Stem, seed, and chop peppers. Chop Onion. Slice garlic thinly.
- Mix all ingredients in large pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion looks glassy and clear.
- Cook in pressure canner 5 minutes at 15 psi.
- Remove from heat, and allow the canner to return to ambient pressure of its own accord.
- Remove and cool jars.
Join The Conversation
This is a fabulous recipe!! The flavors are very balanced, absolutely delicious! The only change I would make next time is to add less tomato juice. I ended up cooking mine for about an hour to get it thick and finally skimmed about 3 cups of liquid off the top to get it the right thickness to can. My jalepenos were pretty large so I only used 3, seeds and all. Had just the right amount of heat for me. I also used about 8 large tomatoes from my garden. This made 4 16 ounce jars.