Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this online and thought it was too good not to share.
- 1 (2 3/4 ounce) package country gravy mix (regular or no-fat)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 2 teaspoons imitation bacon bits
- 2 teaspoons dried celery flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried split green peas
- 1 bay leaf
- Pour gravy mix into wide-mouth pint jar.
- In small bowl, stir next five ingredients together.
- Pour into jar to make second layer.
- Add peas; place bay leaf on top.
- Seal with lid.
- Attach gift tag (below) and decorate jar as desired.
- Attach the following instructions to a gift tag: Holiday Split Pea Soup.
- Empty contents of jar into large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water; heat to boiling, stirring often. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until peas are tender, stirring frequently to prevent peas from sticking. Remove bay leaf. Serve soup with dollop of sour cream and bacon bits, if desired.
I found this soup very good,however it was a little salty for my taste. I used McCormick gravy mix, if they make a low sodium version I'd try that if your going to make this soup. Also the peas should be rinsed before consuming so I'd pack those separate from the other ingredients for gift giving.
I made these for some family members a few years ago for Christmas. I have to admit it was so last minute I didn't even try this recipe before I gifted them and was nervouse about it. Everyone raved about it so much I had to try it out for myself! I use Mcormick gravy mix and lean ham chunks and put it in the crock pot all day on low. It is very yummy! I make this on a regular basis at my house during the colder months and I also have requests from all the family for these for christmas.