A stunningly gorgeous salad of rich autumn colors-- perfect for Thanksgiving entertaining, and all through the holidays! My candied pecans recipe Sweet and Spicy Candied Pecans - With a Kick are absolutely wonderful in this salad!
- 1 cup candied pecans (see my Sweet and Spicy Candied Pecans - With a Kick)
- 1 large bunch red leaf lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)
- 2 cups large dark seedless grapes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 ripe red pears
- 1⁄2 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh orange zest
- Make candied pecans.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pomegranate seeds, grapes, red onion, and the blue cheese.
- Divide torn lettuce leaves among 8 salad plates, and top each salad with the fruit mixture.
- Halve and core pears and cut into 1/2-inch slices-- put a pear half, skin side up, in the center of each salad.
- Arrange candied pecans around the pears.
- Just before serving, heat balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, cooking and stirring until brown sugar dissolves. Off the heat, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle warm dressing over each salad, sprinkle with orange zest, and serve right away.