Just Like Dewey's Candied Walnut and Grape Salad
Perfect for special occasions, but simple enough to make every night. Has a lovely citrus basil vinaigrette that goes well with this salad as well as others. Taste's just like the salad they serve at Dewey's Pizza in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Ready In:
- 5 cups baby romaine leaves or 5 cups mesclun
- 1⁄2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3 1⁄2 ounces quality gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup candied walnuts or 1/2 cup candied pecans, halves (may purchase or make $notetemplate1$)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place baby romaine leaves in a salad bowl and top with sliced grapes, candied nuts and crumbled gorgonzola (if making your own candied nuts do this step first so they have a moment to cool).
- Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, basil, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve dressing with salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"Perfect for special occasions, but simple enough to make every night. Has a lovely citrus basil vinaigrette that goes well with this salad as well as others. Taste's just like the salad they serve at Dewey's Pizza in Cincinnati, Ohio."
Join The Conversation
This is actually not the recipe that Dewey's uses (I used to work there and made it) it's similar but also very different just fyi. First, you're missing pine nuts also instead of black pepper use red pepper flakes and instead of orange juice use a whole peeled orange and a whole peeled lime. there is NO balsamic vinegar added to it. That will not only change the color but also the taste. They don't add garlic.
Fabulous! I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone raved about it. I don't even like balsamic vinegar, yet somehow this sounded appealing and boy am I glad I gave it a try. I even sent my husband on a special trip to the store to get gorgonzola, but forgot to put it on the salad!! It was wonderful anyway! Will definitely be making this again. :)