Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is the pie I usually make for Thanksgiving and other holidays at our house. I always use Watkins brand pie seasoning blend, but you may use any good quality brand you prefer. I also often make my own crust, but you may use store-bought crust if you prefer. For the apples, I try to mix several types of baking apples for best flavor.
- 1 unbaked double crust pie crust (9")
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 8 cups tart baking apples, peeled,cored,thinly sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice (such as Watkins brand Apple Pie Bake blend)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place bottom layer of pie pastry into a 9" pie plate and set aside.
- Cut up butter into small pieces and set aside in a small dish at room temperature.
- Combine apple slices with lemon juice, sugar, flour, apple pie seasoning, and salt, mixing gently to combine well, but without crushing the apple slices.
- Pour filling into pie plate.
- Sprinkle the butter pieces over the top evenly.
- Top pie with top layer of the pie pastry, crimping and sealing edges decoratively.
- Combine egg yolk and water and brush over entire surface of the pie with a pastry brush.
- Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow venting of steam.
- Set a foil lined cookie sheet on the bottom rack of your oven and set the pie on the center rack of your oven (the extra pan will help catch any drips).
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and bake another 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is starting to bubble.
- Let cool before slicing as this will be boiling hot when fresh from the oven (you may serve pie warm or cold).
- NOTE: I check the pie about halfway through the baking process and if the crust edges are getting too brown, I set a pie ring on top; If you don't have a pie ring, you can make one using foil.