1/2 Photos of Holiday Apple Pie
1 hr 30 mins
This is the pie I usually make for Thanksgiving and other holidays at our house. I always use Watkins brand pie seasoning blend, but you may use any good quality brand you prefer. I also often make my own crust, but you may use store-bought crust if you prefer. For the apples, I try to mix several types of baking apples for best flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 unbaked double crust pie crust (9")
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 8 cups tart baking apples, peeled,cored,thinly sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice (such as Watkins brand Apple Pie Bake blend)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Preheat oven to 425 F.
- 2Place bottom layer of pie pastry into a 9" pie plate and set aside.
- 3Cut up butter into small pieces and set aside in a small dish at room temperature.
- 4Combine apple slices with lemon juice, sugar, flour, apple pie seasoning, and salt, mixing gently to combine well, but without crushing the apple slices.
- 5Pour filling into pie plate.
- 6Sprinkle the butter pieces over the top evenly.
- 7Top pie with top layer of the pie pastry, crimping and sealing edges decoratively.
- 8Combine egg yolk and water and brush over entire surface of the pie with a pastry brush.
- 9Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow venting of steam.
- 10Set a foil lined cookie sheet on the bottom rack of your oven and set the pie on the center rack of your oven (the extra pan will help catch any drips).
- 11Bake for 15 minutes at 425F.
- 12Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and bake another 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is starting to bubble.
- 13Let cool before slicing as this will be boiling hot when fresh from the oven (you may serve pie warm or cold).
- 14NOTE: I check the pie about halfway through the baking process and if the crust edges are getting too brown, I set a pie ring on top; If you don't have a pie ring, you can make one using foil.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 28.2 mg
- Sodium 283.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice