This is a long-time favorite that is still requested, only whisky will do for this, and yes 3 bunches of green onions! --- this roast must be cooked in a low-temperature oven for about 3 hours :)
- Set oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof pot or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Season roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides.
- Brown the pork roast on all sides in hot oil, turning often (this should take about 15-18 minutes).
- Remove the pot from heat, and cool the roast enough to handle.
- While still in the pot, spread the hoisin sauce over the browned roast (or you can remove the roast to a plate and return back in the pot).
- Sprinkle the green onions over the roast in the pot and cover with a lid.
- Place the roast in the oven.
- Cook until pork is very tender when pierced with a fork (about 3 hours) adding water to the pot about 1/4-cup at a time if mixture is dry.
- Remove the pot from the oven and transfer pork to a cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile spoon off fat from the pan juices.
- Stir in whiskey and 3/4 cup water into juices; boil 2 minutes on top of stove, adding a small amount of water in if the sauce is too thick, or if sauce is too thin, boil and reduce.
- Slice the pork thinly, pour the sauce over and serve.
I had some left over Hoisin sauce that I'd made from a recipe here and wanted to use it up. So had a pork roast and found this and when I saw it was Kitten's knew it had to be good. I followed the directions browning the roast and then dumped everything into the crock pot on low for 6 hours and it was great. Tender, and moist with the great flavors of hoisin and YES I did use DH's best Scotch whiskey (should have seen his face when I poured it in) didn't have any green onions so I added finely chopped Walla Walla sweets to it. The resulting gravy was awesome and DH even said he now didn't mind sharing his Scotch. Thanks Kitten for another quick, simple and yummy recipe.
I have a hoisin tenderloin recipe that will be replaced with this one! Thank YOU!!!!!!!