Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Source: Better Homes and Gardens I love serving water this way, refreshing!!! Great for the holidays!!! Enjoy!!! You can chill from 1 to 8 hours, I like 8 hours
- 4 lemons, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed of fresh mint or 1 1⁄2 cups basil leaves
- 6 -8 cups bottled water or 6 -8 cups tap water
- 6 -8 cups ice cubes
- of fresh mint or basil sprig
- Place lemon slices in a large pitcher.
- Carefully rub the 1-1/2 cups mint leaves between the palms of your hands to slightly bruise the leaves.
- Add to the pitcher with lemon.
- Pour in water.
- Cover and chill for 1 to 8 hours.
- Strain lemon-water mixture.
- Discard herbs.
- Divide lemon slices and additional fresh mint or basil sprigs equally among 6 to 8 tall glasses or pint-sized canning jars.
- For each serving, add 1 cup of ice cubes; fill with the lemon water.
4 1/4 stars. This is good but was a bit too bitter from the lemon skins. I liked the mint flavour.
I was looking for something cooling and refreshing for this 90+ weather and this was the perfect solution. It's so much more refreshing than soda pop and absolutely no trouble to make. I had some limes that I bought for something else that didn't get made so I used the 6 of them along with mint. I made it up in the morning and it was wonderful at dinner with cold ham and cheese sandwiches and cole slaw. Lots of lime taste with a lovely mint zip.
This is really nice with the mint. I would not recommend using tap water. Get a good bottled spring water.