Recipe by Glitterhoof
This is my own recipe that I've been playing around with. There's quite a bit of soy flour in it, so if you're not a fan of the flavour then cut it in half and add more whole wheat flour. You can use whatever fresh, frozen or dried fruit you like. I'm allergic to corn, so I use cream of tartar and baking soda. If you'd prefer to use baking powder just replace the tartar and soda with 1 Tbsp of baking powder. These are a not-too-sweet, healthy muffin with a slightly nutty flavour from the soy and flax. Don't expect a really sweet, cakey muffin.
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup wheat bran (I use quaker natural bran flakes)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (I use organic Balkan style)
- 1⁄4 cup honey (or cane sugar)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into well and mix slightly. Add berries and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Fill muffin cups equally with batter and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.