Posting for ZWT Scandinavian From The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors/Jeff Smith
Make and share this Herring Salad, Swedish Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 lb) can pickled beet, sliced and diced small drain and reserve liquid
- 2 pickled herring, pieces 6 oz jars wine-flavored drained and diced small
- 1 green apple, cored and diced small (unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 lb new potato, cooked and diced small (unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced cooked beef or 1⁄2 cup veal
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, peeled and diced small
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 6 tablespoons reserved beet liquid
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks, chopped or grated
- Mix all of the ingredients for the salad in a salad bowl. Blend all of the dressing ingredients except the whipping cream. Stir the dressing into the salt. Whip the cream and gently fold into the salad. Garnish with the chopped or grated egg yolk.