1/1 Photo of Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread
1 hr 30 mins
Mimi in Maine's Note:
I have been making this easy, yummy pan bread for quite some time. Everyone loves it. Great with soups in the winter. It doesn't take too long to make as the total preparation time is about 1 hour and 45-50 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 44.37 ml butter
- 887.21-1123.80 ml flour
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml salt
- 24.64 ml regular dry yeast
- 1 egg (beaten)
HERB TOPPING optional
- 1Grease 9x13 baking pan.
- 2Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and stir in the rolled oats.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons butter; cool to lukewarm (about 110-120 degrees).
- 4In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- 5Add the rolled oat mixture and beat well till moistened--continue blending for about 3 minutes.
- 6Add the beaten egg and mix well.
- 7Then add 1 3/4-2 1/2 cups of flour for form stiff dough.
- 8On floured surface, knead in 1/2-3/4 cups more flour till dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 9Shape into a ball, cover with a large bowl leaving it on the counter and rest about 15 minutes.
- 10Punch down dough several times to remove any air bubbles.
- 11Press into the greased pan.
- 12Using a very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1 1/2" apart, cutting completely through the dough; repeat in opposite direction creating a diamond effect.
- 13Cover with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes till double.
- 14Herb Topping: (optional) Mix the basil, cheese, and garlic powder together and set aside; melt the butter and keep separate.
- 15Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- 16Brush top with butter and then the Herb Topping and return to oven for an additional 5-10 minutes or till done.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.1
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 359.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g