1/4 Photos of Herbed Focaccia Stuffed With Tomato and Provolone Cheese
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I love Focaccia and this one is delicious. The 1 1/2 hours prep time includes 2 risings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- yellow cornmeal
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 7 -7 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried summer savory
- 1 cup olive oil
- sea salt
- 12 ounces sliced mild provolone cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, sliced thin and wrapped in plastic wrap
- 5 ounces yellow cherry tomatoes or 5 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 1Oil lightly a well-seasoned 12 inch cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil and sprinkle bottom with cornmeal.
- 2In a large bowl, proof yeast in ½ cup lukewarm water and ½ tsp sugar for 15 minutes, or until foamy.
- 3Add 2 cups of flour, salt, herbs, ¾ cup olive oil and 1 ½ cups lukewarm water and stir until combined well.
- 4Stir in 4 cups flour and gather dough into a ball.
- 5Knead dough on a floured surface, adding more of remaining flour if necessary, for 15-20 minutes, or until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky.
- 6Form into a ball, put in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- 7Let dough rise, covered tightly with plastic wrap, in a warm place, for 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- 8Punch dough down.
- 9Knead lightly and halve.
- 10In skillet, flatten and stretch half the dough to cover bottom completely.
- 11With fingertips, dimple the dough in places 2 inches apart.
- 12Brush with 1 tblsp oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- 13Arrange ¾ of the provolone, overlapping and leaving a ½ inch border; layer ¾s of plum tomatoes and top with remaining provolone.
- 14On a flat surface, flatten and stretch remaining dough to fit skillet.
- 15Lay over filling and press edges together firmly to enclose filling.
- 16Make dimples in the dough in the same manner as before, brush with 2 tblsps oil, and sprinkle with more coarse salt.
- 17Arrange remaining plum tomatoes and cherry tomatoes decoratively on dough.
- 18Brush with 1 tblsp oil.
- 19Let dough rise, covered with dampened kitchen towel, in a warm place, for 30 minutes.
- 20Bake in upper third of a preheated 400F oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden-brown around edge, and let cool in skillet for 5 minutes.
- 21Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Focaccia Stuffed With Tomato and Provolone Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1084.5
- Calories from Fat 477
- Total Fat 53.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 1288.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 31.8 g