Recipe by Susie D
I saw this recipe on Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis and enjoyed it. It is such a tasty way to use fresh garden tomatoes during the summer months and very easy to make.
Top Review by lauralie41
We used 4 vine ripened tomatoes from the grocery store for this recipe. No where as good as summer tomatoes from the garden but they had a good flavor to them. Had italian flavored Panko breadcrumbs that I added to dried parsley and shredded italian blend cheese (mozzarella, provolone, romano, asiago, and parmesan) and garlic. Loved the crispiness and flavor of the breadcrumb mixture with the sweetness of the tomato. Will make these again and definitely with summer 'maters! Made and reviewed for the For Your Consideration tag game.
- 5 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, horizontally. Seed by gently squeezing the tomato halves. Use a small spoon to gently hollow out the inside of the tomatoes, being careful not to puncture the outer shell. Reserve the pulp.
- Chop the reserved pulp and put in a medium bowl. Add the parsley, bread crumbs, cheese, optional garlic, and pepper and mix gently to combine.
- Place the tomato halves in a buttered casserole dish, and fill with the bread crumb mixture.
- Drizzle the top of the tomatoes with olive oil. Bake until the tops are browned, about 20 minutes.