Baked Mashed Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese and Breadcrumbs
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain; return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well.
- Mix in the milk and melted butter.
- Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish.
- Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes.
- ***Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.***
- Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- The recipe said 6-8 servings, but it seemed to make so much more.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!