Recipe by CarolAnn
This is an easy recipe and WOW!! is it good. Anyone who thinks they don't like grits hasn't tried these! The salmon is so simple it can easily be served alone or over rice with other veggies. And the grits can be served with just about any kind of fish or meat if you don't have/like salmon.
For the Grits
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cream (half and half)
- 3⁄4 cup grits (not instant)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
For the Salmon
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- In a small sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth with onion, salt and garlic.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes (until onion is tender).
- Add remaining broth and bring to a boil.
- Gradually add grits, then cream, stirring with whisk until blended.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes (or until done).
- Sauté mushrooms with olive oil in a nonstick skilled for about five minutes or until golden.
- Stir mushrooms and parmesan into grits.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Sprinkle salmon fillets with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place fillets skin-side down on broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Broil 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness of fillets and individual cooking prefs).
- Remove skin from fillets, discard skin.
- Serve immediately on top of the grits.