Recipe by Naturelover
I'm posting this recipe so that its not lost
Top Review by lp7510
This recipe is great, pretty much how my mother made spaghetti sauce, she liked to pick Friday nights to have Spaghetti. I saw this recipe in a book by Heloise. I thought that in the book, Heloise said that she used to put some (small amount) of leftover bacon grease into the spaghetti sauce. I don't see that in the online version though. Still. a great recipe !
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices finely chopped bacon
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf, chopped fine (I just would throw in whole)
- 1 tablespoon salt (I would probably start with 1 teaspoon)
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed dry red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces red wine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole tomatoes or 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 finely chopped carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over low heat in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients. Add butter and simmer until melted. Add onions and saute until lightly browned. Add ground beef and bacon; saute till browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic parsley, bay leaf, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Cook over low heat 10 minutes. Add wine, cover and steam for a few minutes more.
- Add tomatoes or tomato suce, tomato paste and water. Bring the mixture to a boiling point and add the chopped carrot. Cover and cook over ver low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally. Serve over your favorite cooked pasta.