Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a delicious colourful chili with a perfect blend of many vegetables with tofu in a thick spicy tomato base. This original recipe came from Runner's World magazine, although I have altered it to suit my likings. Frying tofu gives it a more meat like texture. For those who like chili very spicy, more chili powder may be added.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Saute first 4 in meduium heat.
- Add tofu, cumin, hot sauce, and salt and pepper and saute until crisp and lightly browned (10 min).
- Add rest of ingredients (beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, and chili powder).
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 to 55 minutes.
I made this exactly as stated except I used a red bell pepper (more antioxidents). The flavor & texture was perfect!! Be sure and lightly brown the tofu as directed. Thanks LU2Bake for the recipe.
Made this several times now. It's my daughters' favorite chili.