Recipe by sofie-a-toast
Not your Momma's motzah ball soup. Instead of a clear broth, it's full of vegetables. Purists will scowl, tummies go yum. People request this when they come to visit me from out of town. You can use vegetables like green beans, bok choy, and mushrooms. Experience has taught me not to use broccoli, peas, or cabbage. A small amount of spinach is good too, but not stronger greens. Don't forget the turnip and the celery leaves. They are the key to delicious soup.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this pretty much as given, although I did add about a cup of diced green beans that were left over from another meal! I also made the motzah balls somewhat smaller than indicated, but other than that . . . And it was all for a great tasting soup, too, believe me! Thoroughly enjoyable & satisfying! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for tagging in PRMR during the recent Tic-Tac-Toe event]
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 small turnip, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped (with lots of leaves)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 1 garlic cloves (optional) or 1 garlic powder (optional)
- vegetables, chopped (lots)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make motzah ball mix according to directions, but be sure to add broth, not just water, to the mix. Put in fridge and let sit for at least 1/2 hour and as long as all day.
- Peel and chop vegetables.
- Put olive oil in a large pot (I use 4 qts.)and lightly fry onions.
- Add broth until pot is 3/4 full.
- Add vegetables. If you use green beans, add them later when you add the motzah balls. The soup should be really full of veggies.
- Add sherry.
- Add soy sauce (opt.).
- Cook for an hour or two. Add more broth if needed and adjust seasonings to taste.
- About 1/2 hour to 20 minutes before serving take matzoh ball mix out of the fridge.
- Wet hands and shape matzoh mix into ball shapes, each about the size of a marshmallow. Drop carefully into soup as you create the balls.
- Cook for 20 minutes.