Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Team this up with a nice loaf of warm bread and you have a whole meal! Thick and satisfying!
Make and share this Hearty Split Pea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split green peas
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup cooked finely cooked ham (optional)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse split peas in cold water.
- Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaf at end of 1-1/2 hours.
- If soup is too thick, add enough water or chicken broth until soup reaches desired consistency. Soup thickens upon standing.
Well, this is my first time making Split Pea Soup. Not as good as my grandmothers but it's my best! LOL I added 1-1/2 tsp garlic, omitted celery (for lack of having some), 1 cup cooked ham and about two slices cooked chopped bacon. I removed the Bay Leaf about 30 minutes in because Im not a big fan of the flavour. THANKS for the great recipe!