Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Team this up with a nice loaf of warm bread and you have a whole meal! Thick and satisfying!
Make and share this Hearty Split Pea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split green peas
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup cooked finely cooked ham (optional)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse split peas in cold water.
- Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaf at end of 1-1/2 hours.
- If soup is too thick, add enough water or chicken broth until soup reaches desired consistency. Soup thickens upon standing.