1/6 Photos of Hearty Split Pea Soup!
3 hrs 15 mins
The onions, carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic are sauteed first to enliven the sugars in them. This comfort soup gets a wonderful smokey flavor from your choice of ham bone or shank or smoked turkey wings. It's swirled with sherry. Topped with bacon bits and croutons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, sliiced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked pork shanks or 2 smoked turkey wings
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas
- salt & pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1/2-1 cup garlic herbed croutons
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1In a large pot heat oil add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and carrot saute for 5 minutes add garlic, oregano, bay leaf, salt, pepper & ham bone stir 1 minute. Add peas and cover with enough water to completely submerge all ingredients by a couple inches.
- 2Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3-4 hours, until thickened be sure to stir throughout the cooking. The longer you cook it the thicker it gets.
- 3Go ahead a sneak a taste.
- 4Season with hot pepper sauce and black pepper Drizzle with sherry.
- 5Optional I prefer-Blend all but meat in a blender to smooth out.
- 6Garnish with croutons and bacon bits.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Split Pea Soup!
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.2
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.7 mg
- Sodium 195.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.9 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 32.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: