The onions, carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic are sauteed first to enliven the sugars in them. This comfort soup gets a wonderful smokey flavor from your choice of ham bone or shank or smoked turkey wings. It's swirled with sherry. Topped with bacon bits and croutons.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, sliiced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked pork shanks or 2 smoked turkey wings
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas
- salt & pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2-1 cup garlic herbed croutons
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- In a large pot heat oil add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and carrot saute for 5 minutes add garlic, oregano, bay leaf, salt, pepper & ham bone stir 1 minute. Add peas and cover with enough water to completely submerge all ingredients by a couple inches.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3-4 hours, until thickened be sure to stir throughout the cooking. The longer you cook it the thicker it gets.
- Go ahead a sneak a taste.
- Season with hot pepper sauce and black pepper Drizzle with sherry.
- Optional I prefer-Blend all but meat in a blender to smooth out.
- Garnish with croutons and bacon bits.