1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
The "green" in this Cajun-style soups comes from a mixture of spinach, watercess, and parsley. If you don't have watercress, simply increase the parsley to 2 bunches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 bunch watercress, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup diced parsnips or 1 cup rutabaga
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1In a Dutch oven combine spinach, watercress, parsley, and 1/4 cup water.
- 2Bring to a boil, breaking up spinach with a fork; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Drain, reserving liquid and pressing liquid out with a spatula- Set greens and liquid aside.
- 4In the same Dutch oven stir together the flour and oil till smooth.
- 5Cover over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 6Reduced heat to medium, cook and stir about 10 minutes more or till reddish brown.
- 7Add onions, green pepper, and celery- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or till very tender.
- 8Add enough water to reserved liquid to make 2 1/2 cups.
- 9Add liquid, cooked greens, salt, red pepper, and black pepper to onion mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 11Add broccoli and parsnips or rutabaga- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes more or till tender.
- 12Stir in beans; heat through.
- 13To serve, place rice in individual bowls and ladle gumbo over rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Green Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.7
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 656.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 9.6 g