Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Kraft Canada and has become a family favourite at our house. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
- 675 g loaf round pumpernickel bread or 675 g sourdough bread
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip (low & non fat both work well)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or mustard of your choice)
- 1⁄4 lb shaved deli turkey (or deli meat of your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup spinach leaves (I use baby spinach)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced, cooked until caramelized
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (blend of mozzarella and cheddar is recommended)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut a 1/2 inch thick slice from top of bread loaf; remove centre of loaf, leaving 1-inch-thick shell. Reserve removed bread for another use.
- Spread inside bread shell and cut-side of top of loaf with dressing and mustard (I mix them together and spread at once).
- Fill bread shell with layers of turkey, spinach, onions, and cheese; cover with top of bread loaf.
- Wrap in aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 min or until cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through.
- Let stand 10 min before cutting into 4 wedges with a serrated knife.
- Serve warm.
I have made this multiple times now and I am sorry I forgot to review it sooner. EXCELLENT sandwich for the entire family. It's very versatile and I first made it as written except substituted mayo for miracle whip. I have mixed up the ingrediants and it still is a hit. We like to use the original recipe and add mushrooms and I put the spinach on raw and it doesn't make it soggy. I also open it up after cooking and add lots of black pepper and fresh sliced tomatoes. A great recipe and easy to make.