Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've adapted this pie from a number of different recipes, including a Jamie Oliver recipe. The apple cider vinegar gives it a bit of a tang which I like. I also play around with the type of herbs I use - thyme, marjoram, parsley, oregano are all good. And I just use dried herbs if I don't have any fresh herbs on hand.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Melt the butter with a splash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and sweat gently for about 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile heat a wide frypan or saute pan over medium heat and add a splash of oil. Fry the chicken seasoned with salt, pepper and herbs until the chicken is browned.
- Add the leeks, then stir in corn flour. Pour in the stock and add the apple cider vinegar. Adjust the amount of stock depending on how much sauce you like. You can also add a bit more cornflour if the sauce looks a bit too thin.
- Simmer gently for around 15 minutes.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into a 1.2L - 1.9L (1.5-2 Quart) pie dish.
- Cut a piece of defrosted puff pastry big enough to make a lid over pie dish plus a 2cm border to place around the rim.
- Line the rim of the pie dish with a 2cm border of pastry, brush with a little water and then top with the pastry lid. Crimp the edges together with a fork. If you can't be bothered with the extra border just fit the pastry lid. Make a little slit in the middle of the pastry to let the steam escape.
- Beat the egg with a splash of milk. Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the pastry with the egg mixture. This will help the pastry brown and crisp nicely.
- Bake the pie for around 20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.