Hearty Cheese Soup by Panera Bread
- In a large stockpot, melt butter or margarine.
- Add chopped veggies and ham or bacon and cook over medium heat until veggies are slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add milk and spices.
- Add cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted. To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve, piping hot in a hollowed Sourdough bread bowl.