Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A cold winter day and soup in my belly. There is no better combination.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham or 1⁄2 cup cooked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- ground pepper
- bread, bowls (optional)
- In a large stockpot, melt butter or margarine.
- Add chopped veggies and ham or bacon and cook over medium heat until veggies are slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add milk and spices.
- Add cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted. To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve, piping hot in a hollowed Sourdough bread bowl.