Recipe by RecipeNut
This is perfect for potlucks because it makes a big batch. I have it home with fresh bread and salad. The leftovers are even better the next day.
Top Review by MrsMM
I made this recipe for AUS/NZ Swap. We weren't crazy about this dish, but it also wasn't bad. So, we chose 3 stars which in our terms mean "We liked it." I think for me, the canned green beans and waxed beans lent a funny taste, and for DH, the sweetness was overwhelming. I think it's a great economical dish, and as the name says, definitely hearty! But, next time, I'd use fresh green beans and wax beans, or maybe frozen, and use brown sugar OR honey, not both. Thank you for sharing!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can wax beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain. Stir in bacon and beans. Transfer to a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, ketchup, honey and vinegar. Pour over the bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Let beans stand for 10 minutes, stir beans before serving.