This is an adaptation of a recipe for collards that I found on the back of a package of Nature's Greens... I didn't have a smoked turkey wing/ham hock/ or bacon on hand, so this recipe really fit the bill that day! I really like this recipe since it really lets the flavor of the greens shine... they aren't cooked to death and are not overly sweet... which is how we like them. Even though these greens do not have that smokey flavor most of us are used to when eating collards, these are really tasty... and good for your heart!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g collard greens (I used a pre-cleaned and cut bag of greens)
- 946.36 ml water
- 9.85 ml chicken bouillon (Better Than Bouillon)
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml sugar (more if you like your collards sweeter)
- vinegar (optional)
- 1Bring the water, chicken bouillon, olive oil, garlic and peppers to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- 2Add the sugar and the greens to the pot.
- 3Bring to a boil once more.
- 4Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- 5Serve as is or with a splash of the optional vinegar!
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heart Smart Collard Greens
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.9
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 35.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.4 g