Recipe by atlfitgirl
This is an adaptation of a recipe for collards that I found on the back of a package of Nature's Greens... I didn't have a smoked turkey wing/ham hock/ or bacon on hand, so this recipe really fit the bill that day! I really like this recipe since it really lets the flavor of the greens shine... they aren't cooked to death and are not overly sweet... which is how we like them. Even though these greens do not have that smokey flavor most of us are used to when eating collards, these are really tasty... and good for your heart!!!
- 1 lb collard greens (I used a pre-cleaned and cut bag of greens)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (Better Than Bouillon)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (more if you like your collards sweeter)
- vinegar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water, chicken bouillon, olive oil, garlic and peppers to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- Add the sugar and the greens to the pot.
- Bring to a boil once more.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Serve as is or with a splash of the optional vinegar!