Every year I pick a cake to make for Valentine's Day, this one is from Taste Of Home and is beautiful. Cake is baked in two 9 inch heart shaped pans, I found them in regular pans and disposable tin pans. My cake took longer to cook about 30 minutes. Also this is a very sweet cake. I used two cans of cherry pie filling (not all of both) and for the topping on top I tried to just get the cherries with just a little of the juice.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened no substitutions
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling, divided
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Then beat in water and oil until smooth.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch heart shaped baking pans.
- You can also line the pans with parchment paper and grease and flour that as well.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in cream and extract.
- Place one cake on serving dish; spread with half of cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Top with 1 cup pie filling and second cake; spread with remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Make a heart shape indentation in center of cake (can use a knife to trace a heart shape); fill with remaining pie filling.
- Refrigerate until serving.