I can say this is heart healthy because I found this recipe in the American Heart Associations Healthy Recipes booklet. I love the taste of this pudding! The first time I tried to make rice pudding when I was a teen it came out looking like a form of cement - needless to say I've improved and this recipe is now a favorite.
- In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, stir together the 2 1/2 cups milk and the rice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium high and boil for 5-6 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the other 1 cup of milk, the cinnamon stick, sugar and lemon zest.
- Increase the heat to high and return to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium high and boil for 4-5 minutes or until creamy and soupy.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and let the mixture stand for 30 minutes to thicken somewhat.
- Before serving, remove the cinnamon stick. Sprinkle the individual dishes of pudding with ground cinnamon to your tastes.