Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can say this is heart healthy because I found this recipe in the American Heart Associations Healthy Recipes booklet. I love the taste of this pudding! The first time I tried to make rice pudding when I was a teen it came out looking like a form of cement - needless to say I've improved and this recipe is now a favorite.
- In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, stir together the 2 1/2 cups milk and the rice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium high and boil for 5-6 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the other 1 cup of milk, the cinnamon stick, sugar and lemon zest.
- Increase the heat to high and return to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium high and boil for 4-5 minutes or until creamy and soupy.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and let the mixture stand for 30 minutes to thicken somewhat.
- Before serving, remove the cinnamon stick. Sprinkle the individual dishes of pudding with ground cinnamon to your tastes.
I used vanilla soy milk in this, so I skipped the vanilla and only used about 1 Tblsp of sugar as the milk has sugar in it. I think I could have added a little more sugar though as it was not quite sweet enough. This is easy to make and made a nice addition to out Sunday brunch. Thanks for the recipe.
This was very easy to do even though I had to stir a lot. But it was worth it. Great taste. And healthy! Thanks Melissa :) Made for Market tag
Almost 4 1/2 stars. This has really good flavour. I loved the lemon and cinnamon in this! But like another reviewer I found the texture off. It seemed like it needed to be cooked longer with more milk maybe. I used rice milk for the nonfat milk to be dairy free (I have had no problem doing so in other rice pudding recipes) I used white Basmati rice and brown sugar which I would do again. If you don't watch it the high temperature does make it overflow. If it could be made a bit softer I may make it again. Made for Potluck Tag Fall 2009.