Recipe by JoAnn Rachor
Waffles without oil or sugar and my husband likes them. Original recipe from drweil.com which says it is from The Healthy Kitchen - Recipes for a Better Body, Life and Spirit by Andrew Weil, MD and Rosie Daley (Knopf).
Top Review by kristenyaun
These turned out very tasty, although I modified mine some. I used only 2 egg whites and substituted with half a cup of ground flaxseed and hot water then added pureed pumpkin and a dash of olive oil! I also mixed up the 2 c. of flour with rolled oats, rye, and all purpose flour. So tasty and the orange juice added a really interesting flavor
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate eggs.
- Beat the whites until stiff.
- Mix egg yolks, orange juice and vanilla until frothy.
- Add milk and stir a couple of times.
- Mix dry ingredients together and add slowly to liquids mixing until there are no lumps.
- Fold the egg whites.
- Server with fresh fruit (raspberries, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, applesauce) and vanilla yogurt.
- If you must use syrup remember that the orange juice provides sweetener.
- Can be used to make pancakes too.