Recipe by Cookie Jarvis
You will not miss the sugar and fat I took out of this dessert bar. It would also work well with carrots or pumpkin. I like to cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave ahead of time for easy peeling later.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
What a great way to enjoy sweet potatoes, & believe me, I'm always interested in new ways to prepare 'em! Great crust & very tasty filling! Couldn't be better than that! I kept these all right here at home, but I'm already planning on making them again soon to share with one of the monthly groups I host! A very nice keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (4-5 whole)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sweet potatoes in a microwave safe dish and add some water to the bottom. Cover with saran wrap.
- Microwave on high for about 7 minutes or until knife inserts easily. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put dry ingredients in food processor and pulse until oatmeal is ground.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl with egg whites and oil.
- Press into greased 13x9 pan. (I like to line it with foil and then grease it for easy cleanup).
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Peel sweet potatoes and put in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix with a hand blender until smooth.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Cool before cutting.
- Store in refrigerator.