Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great-tasting healthy muffins with pumpkin, applesauce, and banana. Freeze well for a quick breakfast or snack!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup applesauce
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine flours, bran, oats, baking powder, spices, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using whisk or spoon, stir until well mixed.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except nuts) in a large mixing bowl; beat until smooth.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Beat just until combined.
- Spoon into prepared pans or tins (fill cups until just about full).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Makes about 30 hearty muffins.
- These freeze well!
Very yummy! I used 1 1/2 c white whole wheat flour and 2 c spelt flour. I also didn't have oat bran and used 1/4 c flax meal. I used 1 c coconut sugar and 1/2 c maple syrup for the sweetener and only had 2 bananas so I used an extra bit of pumpkin puree. I also only had 3/4 c applesauce so I had to use 1/4 c olive oil. Made regular and mini muffins and my kids love them. I will definitely make again.
Hearty and yummy! My son made these with a mom-assist. We made some changes to match what we had, too. All whole wheat pastry flour (all the good stuff of whole wheat, but not the bitterness and grit) (no all purpose flour). We didn't have oat bran or walnuts, so we substituted a 1/2 cup ground golden flax (brown is too bitter) and 1/4 cup wheat germ. Only had 1/2 cup applesauce, so we used 1/2 cup olive oil, too. Tasty and hearty with just a bit of sweet. Cooked great in 24 minutes. Next time I'll try 4 bananas for more flavor.